If you are considering a career in the health insurance field with Cornerstone America / Alliance for Affordable Services, UGA - United Group Association / NASE National Association of the Self-Employed, MEGA, MidWest National Life Insurance Co of TN, HealthMarkets or ANY of its "affiliates" DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you sign your independant contrator "contract"...SUGGESTION #1 - Ask to take a blank copy of the contract so you can properly review it prior to signing it...don't be suprised when you can't or are given an excuse as to why you can't...and this should be a big RED FLAG!!! Run & Run Fast - AND don't look back!!!!

I have personally been bombarded by these folks over the past few years while living in the Chicagoland area. Once I posted my resume online - it was over....constant emails offering me an "opportunity for interview" - "Our Sales Leader, Tom Haberkorn has reviewed your resume and would like to meet with you for interview this week...". Early on, I actually made an appointment to go and check them out. When I arrived at the office I was quick to discover that there was no interview with me and "Tom Haberkorn" but a sales pitch from this guy to a group of 7 people whom got scammed to show up like I had for an interview. Needless to say the lot of the room seemed quite discouraged. It seemed like a used car salesman or timeshare sales man pitching a room a folks about him and the company and how great it and he is. This guy was boasting all about himself - showing me from the get-go he was not a "Sales Leader" nor in my oppinion a Manager. He showed all of us that he is a "I" guy....I do this....I make that...I ..I....I....

After the group sales pitch, it was offered to the folks in the room that if interested - stick around and Tom Haberkorn would call to us one at a time for our "interview" with him from which he took all of about 5 minutes with a candidate...(to see if you bought his pitch)....

On my way out, I had an opportunity to take a look around the office and I found it quite interesting that there were very few agents there...those that were seemed to be starving to make sales, the few I did speak to said that they had gone weeks without "leads" or making sales!

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!!!! That is all I can say...do your homework before you might sign a contract so you don't make a mistake and make a blind leap of faith!

Had an Experience with Cornerstone America?

Comments

After receiving my degree in 2005, I was having a hard time finding a job.So of course I was excited when I received an email to interview with Cornerstone.

I arrived at the interview and like you, there were 10 other people there. After the pitch of how much money we could make, how we would be given leads, what a great product it is, etc., we then interview with the district manager. The office was in Raleigh, NC but I lived in Greenville. Which at the time was about an hour and 30 minute drive.

A week later when I was offered the job I was told that very soon an office closer to me would be open and I wouldn’t have to drive to Raleigh. I had to pay to take an insurance class and pay to take the test. I actually “sold” insurance for a month. I made a whole $130.

I drove to Raleigh 3 times a week…was never offered compensation for gas. Each person hired was assigned a mentor to go with you to meet potential clients to get you comfortable in the sales process. Mine went with me once. Canceled on me the last minute another time.

I was give may 6 leads the entire time and was given a stack of numbers to cold-calls. I would call, and call. The Friday I had an interview for a real full-time job, I called my mentor and had to leave a voicemail to say I could not make it to this weeks meeting and probably wouldn’t be coming back.

He never even called to find out why.I definitely paid more out of pocket for this job ($500 for...

to Nicole Phoenix, Arizona, United States #595280

I also made the same mistake of "buying" into the pitchm March 2008. I had just gotten my license and started with them...same thing with the leads...old ones, mostly over a year or two old...think I got 2 whole sales in the 2 months I put up with it...I will say though that my trainer was actually pretty good, but I hope he left for better things.

Spent a lot of hours in the office running down leads that didn't pan out, and all the "no shows" for those appointment I did get. Think my two sales came because those folks couldn't get insured by another carrier.