Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Most Helpful

Cornerstone America - Ignore the little man behind the curtain! Yeah, right.

I have trouble believing this company is stilll around. I was recruited along with dozens of others from an office out of Little Rock back in 2007? I pointed out to the branch manager a clause which essentially worked as an open check to the company, allowing them to alter costs as much and as many times as they could without giving clients prior notice. It took her a while to acknowledge that was what the wording meant, but she then added but the company would never actually exercise that right. Term Life is the least regulated insurance in the states. Yes, youhave to pass an exam, but as per term life, it is a license to steal. Definitely not reputable. Operated for several years under thename Megalife before that was finally shut down. Run, don't walkaway...
Reason of review
Work Experience or Job Application

Cornerstone America in Bend, Oregon - Cornerstone Insurance Arizona

I would advise to avoid this company. Mike Melton has many failed businesses in the state and does not pay his vendors. We attempted to conduct business with him but luckily, discovered his practices before we proceeded. This person will pop up under new companies but if you dig enough you can find him. The AZ corporation commission is a good source or the domain registry. Please do your own research and make a wise choice. The information is easy to find. Google, Cornerstone Insurance or "Mike Melton" Avoid this man and company! Corner Stone Insurance Agency Chandler Gilbert Tempe Phoenix Tucson Scottsdale Arizona Mike Melton Clear Call Solutions Insurance Home Personal life etc.
Reason of review
Not as described/ advertised
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Cornerstone America in Chicago, Illinois - Lie, Cheat, Scam, Steal - watch out!

If you are considering a career in the health insurance field with Cornerstone America / Alliance for Affordable Services, UGA - United Group Association / NASE National Association of the Self-Employed, MEGA, MidWest National Life Insurance Co of TN, HealthMarkets or ANY of its "affiliates" DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you sign your independant contrator "contract"...SUGGESTION #1 - Ask to take a blank copy of the contract so you can properly review it prior to signing it...don't be suprised when you can't or are given an excuse as to why you can't...and this should be a big RED FLAG!!! Run & Run Fast - AND don't look back!!!! I have personally been bombarded by these folks over the past few years while living in the Chicagoland area. Once I posted my resume online - it was over....constant emails offering me an "opportunity for interview" - "Our Sales Leader, Tom Haberkorn has reviewed your resume and would like to meet with you for interview this week...". Early on, I actually made an appointment to go and check them out. When I arrived at the office I was quick to discover that there was no interview with me and "Tom Haberkorn" but a sales pitch from this guy to a group of 7 people whom got scammed to show up like I had for an interview. Needless to say the lot of the room seemed quite discouraged. It seemed like a used car salesman or timeshare sales man pitching a room a folks about him and the company and how great it and he is. This guy was boasting all about himself - showing me from the get-go he was not a "Sales Leader" nor in my oppinion a Manager. He showed all of us that he is a "I" guy....I do this....I make that...I ..I....I.... After the group sales pitch, it was offered to the folks in the room that if interested - stick around and Tom Haberkorn would call to us one at a time for our "interview" with him from which he took all of about 5 minutes with a candidate...(to see if you bought his pitch).... On my way out, I had an opportunity to take a look around the office and I found it quite interesting that there were very few agents there...those that were seemed to be starving to make sales, the few I did speak to said that they had gone weeks without "leads" or making sales! BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!!!! That is all I can say...do your homework before you might sign a contract so you don't make a mistake and make a blind leap of faith!

After receiving my degree in 2005, I was having a hard time finding a job. So of course I was excited when I received an email to interview with Cornerstone.

I arrived at the interview and like you, there were 10 other people there. After the pitch of how much money we could make, how we would be given leads, what a great product it is, etc., we then interview with the district manager. The office was in Raleigh, NC but I lived in Greenville. Which at the time was about an hour and 30 minute drive.

A week later when I was offered the job I was told that very soon an office closer to me would be open and I wouldn’t have to drive to Raleigh. I had to pay to take an insurance class and pay to take the test. I actually “sold” insurance for a month. I made a whole $130.

I drove to Raleigh 3 times a week…was never offered compensation for gas. Each person hired was assigned a mentor to go with you to meet potential clients to get you comfortable in the sales process. Mine went with me once. Canceled on me the last minute another time.

I was give may 6 leads the entire time and was given a stack of numbers to cold-calls. I would call, and call. The Friday I had an interview for a real full-time job, I called my mentor and had to leave a voicemail to say I could not make it to this weeks meeting and probably wouldn’t be coming back.

He never even called to find out why. I definitely paid more out of pocket for this job ($500 for insurance license and class + gas) than I made!

@Nicole

I also made the same mistake of "buying" into the pitchm March 2008. I had just gotten my license and started with them...same thing with the leads...old ones, mostly over a year or two old...think I got 2 whole sales in the 2 months I put up with it...I will say though that my trainer was actually pretty good, but I hope he left for better things.

Spent a lot of hours in the office running down leads that didn't pan out, and all the "no shows" for those appointment I did get. Think my two sales came because those folks couldn't get insured by another carrier.

Cornerstone America in Northridge, California - Cornerstone was suspect

I posted a resume a few nights ago and bingo three job offers . To good to be true I thought. So all three were life insurance companies. What a quinki ***. I am glad to see the stories on this website regarding this odd offer for an interview at a motel. What a scam. This reminds me of when I was looking for work right out of college...man was it tuff..I feel for all you people. I hit the worst job market in 20 years back in 91'. Don't get discouraged. Thanks William Musich Lake Balboa, Ca

I just wanted to let you guys know that I used to work for this company while I was going through school. I actually did pretty well there, and the insurance they offer was and still is great for me and my family.

I cant say what it is like in other markets, but here in the DFW area they were a good company to work for. Pretty good money to if your good at outside sales.

wow, i got the same email. if this many people are involved and feel like victims then i thank cyberspace for the heads up. NO THANKS cornerston............i mean SCAM AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Review

Cornerstone America in Boise, Idaho - Are you Guys Serious?

I am reading all of these Negative Comments about how Cornerstone is a Scam..C'Mon people wake up in order to be appointed and Work for any of these Insurance Company you must be State Licensed as well as pass a FBI Background check first. How would this be a Scam? Sales makes the world go around and yes it takes the "right" person to be successful. Sales isn't about sitting around and waiting for the customer to come to you. It is about getting off your "***" and making it happen so you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. I am a former agent a "true" former agent. Not another Broker trying to Steer away employees so that they look like the good Guy to hire someone. I encourage all of you who do in-fact receive an email to see for yourself. Don't believe all the people who couldn't make it. Believe the ones that have been there and work in the offices currently talk to them. See how they are doing within the company. Cornerstone is a great Opportunity for those who want to work.

I received an email from Cornerstone offering a sales position so I decided to do some research about the company before I responded. It was not the comment on the RipOff report that changed my mind b/c every company has a group that is against them.

It was reading the child like drama in here from Cornerstones very own employees. Name calling, speaking down to people that work at Taco Bell, come on.

Where is the professionalism and since when did a job title make anyone better than anyone. This is the kind of drama i avoid when taking a contract with a company and with the childish displays I have seen here, I have to say that I will let everyone I know that gets an email for an interview to delete it.

I think some people are just really lazy and want others to d the job for them. They are experienced for taco bell or any other fast food resturaunt!

The people that are bashing on this company are lazy, ignorant or just plain jealous of the people who are doing well for themselves.

Some people need to realize that you have to get up off your *** to make money now these days! So for all the people that keep bashing on this company, keep working at TACO BELL!!

You sounds like network marketing folks who try to stick up for their company's when people fail at MLM. Plz.

People just need to know the truth about the success rate of being in sales. It's not for everyone, and it doesn't say it's for sales in the email.

It's deceptive, and they are doing it to go through the numbers, plain and simple.

View more comments (2)
Review

Cornerstone America is a Scam!!!!

DO NOT!!!! DO NOT!!!!!! I REPEAT DO NOT INTERVIEW WITH THIS COMPANY. I had to sit in an office for three hours; listening to this guy lecture on % on. Until he mentioned that you have to shell out almost $700 dollars to get a Health Insurance license. Not only do they not pay you while your training; but you also have to pay $200 bucks right off the bat. I'm so *** mad at myself for actually sitting through this disaster. Your *** if you actually believe what these people say. DO NOT JOIN THIS SCAM ARTIST COMPANY!!! TRUST ME!!!
letmezone

Soon as the NEW president of Cornerstone Mr. Black came onto the set, money RAISING!

a secular concept; CARNAL SINFUL DOG DUNG!!! UNDERSTATEMENTY for red hot ice cold believers. When the actual WORD anointed is shared, da, the blessed donations simply FLOW in UNLIMITED! There is a way carnal that seems right unto man, but the end thereof ends in DEATH to that said area.

CARNAL is crapola! Do God's way receive HIS DIVINE BLESSING PREIOD!

thanks for the info saveing me 3 long hours

Review

Cornerstone America in Atlanta, Georgia - This is an awesome company, don't spread bad things if you've not experienced it!

One cannot tell anything about a company when they have not gone through a thorough interviewing process. It is also not fair to turn anyone away from benefits that could essentially support a family during a crisis. If a person was "turned-off" because the manager needed to see this person face-to-face, I wouldn't hire her either!Job and career opportunity lost- that's all I can say!Each office can be different as with any business. It is for the individual to decide whether or not extended benefits are for them. I don't appreciate one person ruining another individual's potential for a great opportunity.

This company blows monkey balls..I know from experience...be a broker.....not a "captive" agent....

They are in the business of taking your money and returning little but an inferior product to sell. In comparison to other policies, if you have a major illness, hospital stay, etc., the insurance will barely cover half of the expenses, leaving most people who by low cost insurance nearly as bad off as without it.

I wouldn't sell this insurance to my family, so I wouldn't sell it to your either. I quit soon after I learned what the policy was really about.

something they don't share with you until you've paid your money! Bad choice of companies to work for if you have the least bit of integrity.

This company sucks worked for them fo 5 years, was a district for 3 and the things they tell is what you want to hear, but things just don't unfold the way they're said to. It's a scam.

When you leave they charge you 5% of what your account is worth each month for administrative charges....FOR WHAT????

Not to mention all the sub agent debt that you're responsible for!!! And who wants to be captive????

View more comments (2)
Review

Cornerstone America in Chattanooga, Tennessee - Went To Interview. NOT impressed...

I went to meet "Gary Roberts" (hince the quotes), went through with the interview process... Biggest waste of time in my life. They do not use a legit company practice. They use the Spray and Pray method. It's so unprofessional it makes me sick. I suggest you do not interview with "Gary Roberts" It is a scam and a waste of time. I am now working for Bankers Life and Casualty and I can happily say it's a heck of a lot better. No upfront costs, no scams, no twisted words. AND NO paying back fees once you quit. unlike Cornerstone America, who likes to take money back from your sales AFTER you quit.

I can't Gary Roberts actually responded. Anyway, I think it is an unfair practice what they do.

If you have to pay to get you in the door, that's not a good sign. For examle, big companies or the government doesn't charge you, right?

wow, i got the same exact email. but this time they are hunting in scottsdale arizona.

seems like the CEO's at this company are suffering from " little *** syndrome " because if they cant whip it out to make it stick, then they must have a little ***. NO THANKS SCAM AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!

wow, i got the same email. if this many victims are out there then i'm sure to be next.

NO THANKS cornerston.............. i mean SCAM AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!

as a former ftr of bankers YES they will make you pay back $$ once you leave. they send collection agencies after you!

I interviewed with Mr. Roberts and was amazed at his passion for this career.

I don't know what Spray and Pray means but I recently signed on to work with Cornerstone and could not be happier.

Granted I am new but the support and encouragement I get daily is incredible. I don't understand how some people wouldn't want to work in this winning environment

Gary Robert's I think this is probably just some loser that is sore about not getting a job, or someone that wants your company to look bad so his can look good.

For you to judge something you know nothing about really tells me alot about you and makes me very glad I did NOT hire you. I make a very good living and have many..many agents who are doing great as well.

They are building a future at Cornerstone that you will never have a chance to. I would love to know what tactics you feel are "not legit"...and what "scams" you feel are going on. Cornerstone is an outstanding company and just because you can't work here doesn't make it bad. I wish you well at whatever path you take.

I would love to know who you are as I treat everyone I interview with respect and if I feel we don't have a fit I let you know quickly as to not wast either of our time. I would think if you felt as strongly as you say you do, you would have included your name.....Hope to hear from you soon...

Gary Roberts

View more comments (6)

Cornerstone America in San Jose, California - Cornerstone

Just want to chime in that I also got that same letter from Cornerstone, see below. I have reviewed your resume and feel you have some of the experience or qualities we are looking for. I would like to offer you an opportunity to interview this Thursday July 10th at 1PM , or Friday July 11th at 10AM, in our Regional Sales Office located in San Jose. Please call Sarah at (800)301-7252 to confirm an interview. We currently have a few openings for Sales representatives. Due to scheduling challenges, interviews will be on a first come first serve basis. I look forward to speaking with you. Sarah Taylor, Scheduling Coordinator Deborah Oconnell& Associates 22 Great Oaks Blvd. Suite #260 San Jose, CA 95119 (650)641-7139 (800) 301-7252 And many thanks to this website that I didn't waste my time. Thank you very much, a valid resource.

Unlimited income for less than $500? So basically you paid them to give you a job.

I have unlimited and I all it cost me was 8 hours of my time. Wow. I definately will not respond to that email. Im agree with the first comment, im glad I found this site before I wasted my time.

$500 to work for someone.

That can be invested in getting a business licencse. WOW

$500 to work for someone.

That can be invested in getting a business licencse. WOW

For those of you who obviously know nothing about the insurance industry, you usually have to pay a fee to sign-up with companies to cover the cost of training. Not necessarily because they don't have good products, but because there are SO MANY lazy people out there who realize just how difficult it is selling insurance, and then leave.

The fees help ***-out the lazies, and nowhere else can you make the kind of money you can in insurance, be your own boss, have your own schedule, and the opportunity for unlimited income for less than $500! Please - if you can find another opportunity like that, let us ALL know.

I would like to speek to this person who wrote the above about cornerstone and see how she likes it??

View more comments (3)
Review

Cornerstone America in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Cornerstone promised the world... delivered little

I was sucked in by Cornerstones offers of providing service and becoming secure financial. They charge you ...up front $250 you have to pay another $250 or so for licensing. The promises of cash flow within two weeks are totally bogus... I don't think I saw another new agent ever do that. I was with the company for two years. I averaged in the 70-80 percentile nationally in sales numbers. It became apparent to me that one really needed to be in the top 5% to make it at Cornerstone. My wife was seriously ill and I needed regular income as well as actually needing group insurance for her. I was discovered looking for new work on monster when my regional manager discovered my resume. My contract was immediately terminated. I thought I was an independent businessman. It's a cold hearted company. You need to be a lawyer and a mathematician to figure out how the heck you get paid. An agent can actually end up tens of thousands of dollars in debt when they leave. Luckily my advance account paid off in 6 months I recieved "back end money". averaging about $500 a mont for 6 months. I had to surrender my stock when I was terminated to begin settling that account. All in all I probably worked 50-60hrs per week for maybe an average bottom line of maybe $500/wk... rememember now I was much better than average at this. I turned down a job for 70k a year right after I started with the urging of my manager who insisted I would be making much more. Its a sales job top to bottom. I would never consider doing it knowing what I do now.

Contact Cornerstone America Customer Service

Mailing Address:
102 S East St
Bloomington, Illinois 61701-5247
United States
All Cornerstone America Contacts

Cornerstone America - Also going by "McLean Division" in South Carolina

This scam almost got me as well, however the signature line now lists the company as the "McLean Division", however they mention "Cornerstone America" in the body of the e-mail. I'm glad I checked this out before responding. Here is a copy of the e-mail: "I have reviewed your online resume and am impressed with your experience. I have a sales position available on my team that may work for you. Annual first year income of this position is $75,000 - $150,000. Cornerstone America is a national marketing firm with offices all over the country. We market a complete benefits portfolio with over 70 different products and services geared to help our target market of independent contractors, individuals and families. We are currently conducting interviews in the Columbia area, and I would like to meet with you to learn more about your experience and answer any questions you may have about the position. I have limited interview times available. However, I would like to see you as soon as possible, as we are looking to make immediate decisions. Please Click Here To Apply online or you can call me at 843-284-5767 or e-mail mclean.division@gmail.com at your earliest convenience to schedule an interview. Regards, B. Jay Novit HR Director McLean Division 843-284-5767 mclean.division@gmail.com"